Operations and Programs
Ray is married to Elizabeth and they are residents of Windham, New York. They have three children, Kristin, Olivia and Ray III. Ray and his family have been coming to Windham Mountain Resort for 23 years. During this time, he has been a member of the Windham Snow Sport School. Ray is retired from Delta Air Lines where he served as Vice President/Officer for their Cargo Division as was responsible for their global network. His career spans 40 years in aviation and logistics, having worked at both Northwest and United Airlines as well. Prior to joining ASF, Ray held position as the Safety and Project Manager of the Windham Mountain Snow Sports School.
- B.S. Marketing: St. John’s University
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Certified Alpine Level III
Deputy Executive Director
John and his wife, Morgan who is also a certified snowboard instructor, share the same love of snowboarding as well as teaching others. Morgan has been teaching snowboarding for over 20 years and has frequently helped out at the ASF during special events and other fundraisers. When John is not on his snowboard, he spends his time behind the camera as a professional photographer.
- B.F.A. Design from William Paterson University
- American Association of Snowboard Instructors – Certified Level III and retired Examiner
- Professional Photographers of America – Active Member
Chris came to ASF via the normal circuitous route. He is an elementary school teacher by training, a bicycle fabricator and mechanic, ski and snowboard technician, outdoor enthusiast and “people person” by nature. Chris grew up in the southern Adirondacks and took his successful high school hurdling career to Keene State College in New Hampshire. Access to the Green and White Mountains further influenced his love for nature, wild places and steep descents.
Since then Chris has developed a pragmatic relationship with the sports he loves, the equipment required to participate and the “teacher” who wants everyone to get excited about healthy, outside fun. He had to be a mechanic to keep his own equipment working properly and his desire to share the fun led him to “fix” other people’s toys professionally. He has interests ranging from history, music and spa remodeling to biology, nutrition, economics and art.
- B.S. Social Sciences: Keene State College
- M.S. Childhood Education: The College of Saint Rose
- American Association of Snowboard Instructors- Certified Level II Adaptive
- Professional Ski Instructors of America- Certified Level I Alpine
- Bicycle Instructor Certification Program- Level II
- American Canoe Association- Adaptive Paddling Endorsement
Ginny started with the ASF a few years after its inception. She remembers working with founder Gwen Allard sometimes out of a borrowed room in Town Hall. This was quite a change for her after 15 years at CBS headquarters in New York City. In 1991, she left to raise her family and returned ten years later with new eyes-the eyes of a parent-realizing that all parents are the same in wanting every opportunity for their children. She has always thought of her job as a gift, counting herself blessed to be able to work in an environment surrounded by goodness. She is a long time student in the school of life, currently gaining knowledge and inspiration from all who walk through the ASF doors, most especially from those dearest to her heart, the ASF participants. Once an avid skier, she now gets great satisfaction watching their every day successes on the slopes. While she enjoys spending her work week with the ASF family, nothing gives her greater joy than time spent with her own family.
Equipment and Building Supervisor
Josh was born and raised in the Catskills. He’s had a lifelong passion for mountain biking but isn’t afraid of a road ride every now and then. He spent his 20’s professionally racing downhill mountain bikes for Cannondale Factory Racing while managing a ski and bike shop to pay the bills. Between racing and working he crammed in a 4 year college education at SUNY Cortland and completed his BA in Sports Management in 2007. Josh didn’t discover skiing/snowboarding till almost 16 when some friends took him to the top of the Belt Parkway at Hunter Mountain. When he isn’t working he spends his time road riding, mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, camping, and bike touring.
- B.A. Sports Management SUNY Cortland
- Cannondale Factory Racing Professional Downhill Mountain Bike Team 2005-2011
- NOLS Wilderness First Aid Certified
Russ has had a lifelong passion for alpine skiing and racing. He grew up at Butternut Basin where he learned to ski and race with Einar Aas. Russ has spent the past 25 years in the ski industry actively teaching, coaching and racing. During his twenty years at Ski Butternut he was the Assistant Snowsports School Director and Race Program Director. For the past five years he has been the Co Director of the Snowsports School, Race Director and Program Administrator at Bousquet Ski Area. During the summer months Russ runs his business Copake Lake Boat & Ski – a marina and water ski school – where amongst other duties, he teaches water skiing. He has volunteered for the Wounded Warriors weekend at Burden Lake for several years which has sparked his interest in becoming part of the Adaptive Sports Foundation.
In his down time Russ enjoys spending time skiing, snowshoeing, cycling & hiking with his partner Cynthia and their “children” Bentley & Benjamin – an English Labrador and a German Shorthaired Pointer.
- Copake Lake Boat & Ski – Owner, Water Ski School Director
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Certified Alpine Level III & Certified Adaptive Level I
- United States Ski Coaches Association: Alpine Coach Level 200
- United States Ski Coaches Association: Alpine Official RF1
- United States of America Snowboard & Freeski Association: Coach Level 100
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Past Member Development Team
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Past Member Education Staff
- A. Business Administration – Berkshire Community College
- United States Air Force 1976 – 1987: Jet Fighter Crew Chief; Technical Sergeant
Development and General Management
Director of Development
Cherisse Young has been with the Adaptive Sports Foundation and Windham Mountain since 1996. She began as the Fundraising Coordinator under ASF founder, Gwen Allard. She was promoted to Development Director in 2000 and to Executive Director in 2004. In 2013, Cherisse decided to step down from the role of Executive Director to give her more time to spend time with her family. However, she remained with the ASF and is currently serving as the Development Director.
Cherisse has been skiing since she was six years old and it was her passion for the sport that initially motivated her to become a ski instructor in high school. Her experiences teaching eventually lead her to her career with the Adaptive Sports Foundation. Skiing and ski instruction is a family tradition as her father was a PSIA Alpine Level I Certified ski instructor and her daughter began skiing at the ripe old age of 20 months. In the off season, Cherisse enjoys spending time on Burden Lake with her daughter, Labrador retriever and her many neighbors and friends.
- M.A. Non Profit Management: Regis University
- B.S. Marketing and Management: Siena College
- Professional Ski Instructors of America – Eastern Division: Past Member of the Board of Directors
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Certified Alpine Level II
- Professional Ski Instructors of America: Certified Adaptive Level I
Joanne is a native Long Islander who gave up the ocean for the mountains almost 20 years ago. She loves crunching numbers and her long time experience keeping books in the financial business brought her to ASF in 2002 where she now heads the Accounting Department. Summer weekends, you will find her running her family owned concession business. While she is proud to successfully manage these two areas, she says her most rewarding job has always been as a mom to her two great kids. While she enjoys time on the slopes, she is particularly fond of warm weather and loves to head south to the beach with her husband and children any chance she gets.